I asked my dermatologist “Why I should use a Retinol?”
Retinol is a derivative of vitamin A. It’s commonly used to give your skin a healthy boost by promoting collagen production, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, smooth skin’s texture and tone and diminish hyperpigmentation and dark spots. As you age, the skin cells stop maturing normally and they tend to pile up, Retinol works on a molecular level to normalize cell turnover.
Retinol’s are also added to some acne products to unclog blocked pores, prevent dead skin build-up and enhance the performance of other acne-fighting ingredients to achieve pimple free skin.
Retinol is truly an anti-aging powerhouse. There is over 45 years of established research that supports it. So when your skin’s appearance is affected by the environment or the natural aging process, retinol can step in to minimize those concerns. It’s even better if you use it to help prevent/slow down those effects. Why wait for them to happen?
Before Buying or Using a Retinol Here is What You Need to Know
- When buying a retinol it should be in an opaque container that eliminates or minimizes air and light exposure. This can lead to product breakdown. (JAS Anti-Aging Retinol Cream is packaged in an opaque airless pump).
- The key is starting slow. Although retinol’s are an effective anti-aging product they can be irritating to the skin, especially when you first begin to use them. We like JAS Anti-Aging Retinol Cream because it is specially formulated in a moisturizing base to minimize irritation or dryness. You can also start off applying your retinol product every other night or mixing it 50:50 with your moisturizer. If after a week there is no irritation you can move to using it every night or slowly taper the amount of moisturizer you are mixing with the retinol.
- In colder or dry skin conditions you may need to skip using your retinol a night or two if your skin is too dry. It is especially helpful under these conditions to use a moisturizer daily to help prevent irritation and sooth dry skin. We recommend JAS Renewal Rejuvenating Cream or JAS Restorative Hydrating Cream.
- Choose a soothing and gentle skin cleanser to help obtain maximum benefits from your retinol. (JAS Restorative Hydrating Cleanser or JAS Sensitive Clarifying Cleanser).
- By applying retinol at night you help prevent premature breakdown of the product by sunlight. As retinol normalizes the outer layer of your skin, you may become more sensitive to the sun.
- Be diligent about sun protection. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater. Daily use of sunscreen can help prevent pre-mature aging of the skin and skin cancer.
- For maximum anti-aging benefits is it often helpful to combine other anti-aging ingredients into ones regimen. Those may include an alpha hydroxyl acid, vitamin C, green tea and other anti-oxidants to maximize your skin’s ability to look younger longer!!
All of the benefits of using a retinoid will be apparent. Reap the anti-aging benefits of smoother, brighter, younger looking skin. Bring out your natural, make-up optional Just Amazing Skin!